Hello, my name is Amanda, and I am a Goodwill junkie. Phew, felt good to get that off my shoulders. But for real people, whose with me? There are a huge amount of treasures at your local Goodwill. Like this little gem I picked up for $5.00. My desk was looking awfully lonely, and needed a partner in crime. The moment we locked eyes, I know she was a perfect fit. She was a nice solid, sturdy girl who needed a little TLC, and I was up for the challenge. Confession, ("these are my confessions", anyone else just have that Usher song playing in their head?...no?...ahh ok then, moving on) I have never painted a piece of furniture. Gasp! I know. I have always stuck to miscellaneous spray painting projects and my occasional inspirational sign, but never an actual piece of furniture. This was going to be my first "big girl" project, and I was diving in head first, ready to get my hands dirty.
So, lets get started!
Here she is. Do you see all the potential I see?! Side note, these pictures are all taken in my "work space" so the lighting isn't the best, and theres occasional "background noise" (hint: future project in the background here...see it?) It looks like there at least 2 coats of paint and upon further investigation, I was right. They were very thin layers of paint and would be easy to sand off. That made her super easy to rehab since I didn't have to strip any paint off.
After giving her a little rub down with some heavy duty cleaner (she was a dirty girl) I sanded her down. Yes, I am going to keep calling her, "her", so please don't make this weird. As I was sanding, I was making note of where the natural curves and wear were on the chair. This was so I could refer back to it when it comes time for distressing.
After going through my Home Depot specials. I chose a Valspar satin yellow base paint, no name because it was an oops paint. This is where the lighting comes in. Here she looks more yellow-y, but in reality she's more of a bright olive green. I thought it was a nice bold color for her to start out her new life. I didn't prime first because there were not any marks or dark paint to cover. I did however apply two coats (shown is just one coat). And, that little crack in the front, I left it, it builds character.
Now, this is where we pull out our mental pictures from earlier...no, not those ones...the ones of the chair. Before I started sanding, I looked over the curves of the chair and where I thought the chair would age naturally if it were loved and loved some more. Pulling all my mental images together, I grabbed my sander and went to town (fingers crossed) I found the legs to be a little challenging. Naturally, chair legs don't get too much wear, and if they do, its towards the bottom. I wanted it to all flow better so I just skimmed the sander across the legs. I also sanded a little harder on the top of the chair (you know, where someone would grab it to move it), the back where you lean back on the chair, and the actual seat itself.
After, I felt like she still needed something. A little extra sumin, sumin. I remembered my Dollar Tree decals I had left over from making my signs. The hard part was getting them to spread evenly across the chair. Every letter was separate (steady hands and a good eye). Once I was satisfied with the decal (many hours later..no, not really, but close) it was time for the final coat. I used Mini wax poly acrylic sealer finish. I chose a poly acrylic finish because it is water based and super easy to clean up. Trust me, I had a little mishap and this stuff went flying. I made quite a mess but it cleaned up quickly with soap and water. Phew!
So, here she is, in all her glory. She stands proud now, can't you just see her smiling. Here you can also see where I did the heavier sanding. I was pretty happy with the outcome and super pumped for the next project. I can't wait for the warmer weather and yard sales!!!
Happy sanding! ~Amanda
Caring is sharing peeps! (See icons below)