February 8, 2015

A little something different. A story about recovery.

"Recovery is a process.  It takes time.  It takes patience.  It takes everything you got." ~anonymous



Everyone has a story.  A series of events that have shaped them to who they are today.  Some people are able to take these events and use them as a teaching tool.  "What have I learned from what happened?"  Or, most importantly, "What can I take away from this situation to better myself?".  It is really hard to change your mind frame when you are in or coming out of a situation where you are left feeling hurt.  But, "hurt" and "frightened" are our best teachers.  For, with out these, we wouldn't know "happiness" and "courage".  I myself have been handed hardships, as we all have in our lives at one point or another.  But, lets not compare "who has the saddest story", let's instead compare, "who has the best life lesson".  I want to know what you have learned in life that has made you the person you are today.  I call this, the recovery stage.





The recovery stage is when we are able to see past all the negative and turn them into something positive.  I had lived my life a certain way for 14 years.  It wasn't a healthy life. Unhealthy in the choices I was making.  The way I was allowing someone to make me feel.  I was allowing someone else to have control over me.  To have control over the way I think, feel and act.  I was allowing myself to disappear.  I had gotten to the point where I felt trapped, lonely and very depressed.  See that word "allowing"? Thats the key word here.  For the longest time I was saying "this person is making me feel this way" or "this person is doing this or that to me"  No, I was "allowing" them to do this to me.  I had to stop and think about that.  I was allowing someone else to live my life.  So, I made a choice, instead of thinking of all the hard, and sad, and painful decisions I was going to have to make to get myself back to where I wanted to be, I just did them.  When you are feeling down, theres only one way to go, up.    





I could have been mad.  I could have been hateful, angry and felt sorry for myself, but I didn't.  I chose to look at things a little differently. I chose to look at my past 30 years as a book.  What had a learned in each chapter?  What had I come away with that I could use to help me go further in life?  By moving forward with out stepping back, I have been able to be thankful for what I have been through.  I am where and who I am today because of my past.  When we are able to let go of all the negative feelings associated with situations, we can start to see that good that came out of them. This makes for a much happier you.  It helps you to feel more at peace.  





By nourishing our bodies, it can also help to nourish our minds.  Believe it or not, 70% of our mental health starts with our guts.  Feed your bodies well.  Mind, body and spirit.  Everything feeds off one another.  A lack of sleep, is going to effect your eating habits and the way you feel through out the day.  Eating "not so good for you" food is going to effect the way you sleep and your motivation through out the day.  Healthy minds make good decisions.  Start by going for a brief walk during the day.  Breathe in the fresh air (even if it is cold).  Instead of a donut, have a piece of fruit.  One thing I learned is not too expect too much too fast.  Recovery is a process.  Take steps that make you feel comfortable, just as long as you keep moving forward.  





Happy Healing my friends! ~Amanda


Caring is sharing.  Pinterest, Facebook, subscribe below.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Amanda Marie!
    I just came by to say, you are wonderful!
    I saw that the work of Gabby Bernstein´s herfuture.com really inspires you and that is wonderful! I am conducting a research for my dissertation to see how online platforms on personal development influence the lives of the users.
    I would really appreciate if you would answer the survey below and share it with your followers to help create a better understanding on what people really need online:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/onlinewellness
    It only takes a few minutes.
    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete